BOCA RATON, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 3, 2020-- TherapeuticsMD, Inc. (NASDAQ: TXMD), an innovative women’s healthcare company, announced today that it submitted a New Drug Application prior-approval efficacy supplement for BIJUVA 0.5 mg/100 mg (estradiol and progesterone) capsules to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) late January 2020.
The submission includes data from the Company’s Phase 3 Replenish Trial for BIJUVA, for which the Company announced results in December 2016, together with additional information and analyses. The Company expects to learn of the acceptance of the efficacy supplement upon receipt of the Filing Review Notification from the FDA, approximately 74 days after the submission of the NDA efficacy supplement. If accepted for review by the FDA, the Company expects that the NDA efficacy supplement will be reviewed under current Prescription Drug User Fee Act timeline goals, within ten months of receipt by the FDA.
The BIJUVA 1 mg/100 mg dose was approved by the FDA in October 2018 and launched commercially in April 2019. BIJUVA is the only FDA-approved bio-identical hormone therapy combination of estradiol and progesterone in a single, oral capsule. It is taken once-daily for the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms (commonly known as hot flashes or flushes) due to menopause in women with a uterus.
BIJUVA is a novel combination of bio-identical estradiol and bio-identical progesterone in a once-daily oral softgel capsule. It is approved in the U.S. for the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms due to menopause in women with a uterus.
BIJUVA® is a combination of estradiol and progesterone indicated in a woman with a uterus for the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms due to menopause.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
|WARNING: CARDIOVASCULAR DISORDERS, BREAST CANCER, ENDOMETRIAL CANCER, and PROBABLE DEMENTIA
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning.
Estrogen Plus Progestin Therapy
- Estrogen plus progestin therapy should not be used for the prevention of cardiovascular disease or dementia
- The Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) estrogen plus progestin substudy reported increased risks of stroke, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE), and myocardial infarction (MI)
- The WHI estrogen plus progestin substudy reported increased risks of invasive breast cancer
- The WHI Memory Study (WHIMS) estrogen plus progestin ancillary study of WHI reported an increased risk of probable dementia in postmenopausal women 65 years of age or older
- There is an increased risk of endometrial cancer in a woman with a uterus who uses unopposed estrogens
- Estrogen-alone therapy should not be used for the prevention of cardiovascular disease or dementia
- The WHI estrogen-alone substudy reported increased risks of stroke and DVT
- The WHIMS estrogen-alone ancillary study of WHI reported an increased risk of probable dementia in postmenopausal women 65 years of age or older
BIJUVA is contraindicated in women with any of the following conditions: undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding; known, suspected, or history of cancer of the breast; known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia; active DVT, PE, or history of these conditions; active arterial thromboembolic disease (for example, stroke, MI), or a history of these conditions; known anaphylactic reaction, angioedema, or hypersensitivity to BIJUVA or any of its ingredients; known liver impairment or disease; known protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency, or other known thrombophilic disorders.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- An increased risk of PE, DVT, stroke, and MI has been reported with estrogen plus progestin therapy. Should these occur or be suspected, therapy should be discontinued immediately. Risk factors for arterial vascular disease and/or venous thromboembolism (VTE) should be managed appropriately.
- The WHI substudy of daily estrogen plus progestin after a mean follow-up of 5.6 years reported an increased risk of invasive breast cancer. Observational studies have also reported an increased risk of breast cancer for estrogen plus progestin therapy after several years of use. The risk increased with duration of use and appeared to return to baseline over about 5 years after stopping treatment (only the observational studies have substantial data on risk after stopping). The use of estrogen plus progestin therapy has been reported to result in an increase in abnormal mammograms requiring further evaluation.
- Endometrial hyperplasia (a possible precursor to endometrial cancer) has been reported to occur at a rate of approximately less than one percent with BIJUVA. Clinical surveillance of all women using estrogen plus progestin therapy is important. Adequate diagnostic measures should be undertaken to rule out malignancy in postmenopausal women with undiagnosed persistent or recurring abnormal genital bleeding.
- The WHI estrogen plus progestin substudy reported a statistically non-significant increased risk of ovarian cancer. A meta-analysis of 17 prospective and 35 retrospective epidemiology studies found that women who used hormonal therapy for menopausal symptoms had an increased risk for ovarian cancer. The exact duration of hormone therapy use associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer, however, is unknown.
- In the WHIMS ancillary studies of postmenopausal women 65 to 79 years of age, there was an increased risk of developing probable dementia in women receiving estrogen plus progestin when compared to placebo. It is unknown whether these findings apply to younger postmenopausal women.
- Estrogens increase the risk of gallbladder disease.
- Discontinue estrogen if severe hypercalcemia, loss of vision, severe hypertriglyceridemia, or cholestatic jaundice occurs.
- Monitor thyroid function in women on thyroid replacement hormone therapy.
The most common adverse reactions (≥3%) for BIJUVA are breast tenderness (10.4%), headache (3.4%), vaginal bleeding (3.4%), vaginal discharge (3.4%) and pelvic pain (3.1%).
Please note that this information is not comprehensive. Please see the Full Prescribing Information including BOXED WARNING at BIJUVA.com.
About TherapeuticsMD, Inc.
TherapeuticsMD, Inc. is an innovative, leading healthcare company, focused on developing and commercializing novel products exclusively for women. Our products are designed to address the unique changes and challenges women experience through the various stages of their lives with a therapeutic focus in family planning, reproductive health, and menopause management. The company is committed to advancing the health of women and championing awareness of their healthcare issues. To learn more about TherapeuticsMD, please visit www.therapeuticsmd.com or follow us on Twitter: @TherapeuticsMD and on Facebook: TherapeuticsMD.
This press release by TherapeuticsMD, Inc. may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements may include, but are not limited to, statements relating to TherapeuticsMD’s objectives, plans and strategies as well as statements, other than historical facts, that address activities, events or developments that the company intends, expects, projects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future. These statements are often characterized by terminology such as “believes,” “hopes,” “may,” “anticipates,” “should,” “intends,” “plans,” “will,” “expects,” “estimates,” “projects,” “positioned,” “strategy” and similar expressions and are based on assumptions and assessments made in light of management’s experience and perception of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors believed to be appropriate. Forward-looking statements in this press release are made as of the date of this press release, and the company undertakes no duty to update or revise any such statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to risks and uncertainties, many of which are outside of the company’s control. Important factors that could cause actual results, developments and business decisions to differ materially from forward-looking statements are described in the sections titled “Risk Factors” in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, as well as reports on Form 8-K, and include the following: the company’s ability to maintain or increase sales of its products; the company’s ability to develop and commercialize IMVEXXY®, ANNOVERA™, BIJUVA® and its hormone therapy drug candidates and obtain additional financing necessary therefor; whether the company will be able to comply with the covenants and conditions under its term loan facility, including the conditions to draw additional tranches thereunder; the potential of adverse side effects or other safety risks that could adversely affect the commercialization of the company’s current or future approved products or preclude the approval of the company’s future drug candidates; whether the FDA will approve the efficacy supplement for the lower dose of BIJUVA; the length, cost and uncertain results of future clinical trials; the company’s reliance on third parties to conduct its manufacturing, research and development and clinical trials; the ability of the company’s licensees to commercialize and distribute the company’s products; the availability of reimbursement from government authorities and health insurance companies for the company’s products; the impact of product liability lawsuits; the influence of extensive and costly government regulation; the volatility of the trading price of the company’s common stock and the concentration of power in its stock ownership. PDF copies of the company’s historical press releases and financial tables can be viewed and downloaded at its website: http://ir.therapeuticsmd.com/press-releases.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200203005141/en/
Source: TherapeuticsMD, Inc.
Vice President, Investor Relations
561-961-1900, ext. 2088